In 1878, the then Governor of Mauritius drew up a plan whereby Curepipe was named as The village of Curepipe. During that time, development was so lest with the increasing number of population and houses, roads and sidewalks built everywhere along with the growing number of schools, colleges, parishes, churches and other shops.
By 1882, the inhabitants of Curepipe started complaining of the haphazard development badly maintained roads, no drainage system and absence of pavements. Sir Virgil Naz was shouldered the responsibility to find solution to the problems. He was personally not in favour of a municipality. He therefore along with a large majority of the inhabitants of Curepipe joined hands together and in 1889, succeeded in passing a law which created the Board des Commissaires de Curepipe. But after its creation, the Board had some fifty lamps placed along the roads.
By the end of 1889, through Ordinance No 12, announced that the village of Curepipe be raised to with dignity of a town and granted its constitution. The Governor, Sir Charles Lees named Sir Virgil Naz as the President of the Board with Sir W. A. Ed wards, Théodore Sauzier, Louis de Rouchecouste, Dr Ferninand Antelme and Mr Victor Lamarque as other members of the Board of Curepipe. Major achievements of the Board were a road network comprising of eighty entirely asphalted roads, erection of bridge, construction of drains, public gardens, nursery at Bois et Fôret, Carnegie Library, slaughter house, Cité Pitot, Salaffa Shopping Centre, among others.By 1924 1925, a petition was launched by Doctor Curé to change the Board into Municipality. By 1925, this was accepted and the members resigned. Mr Emile Pitot was named as President with Mr René Maigrot, Honourable R. Gujadhur, Doctor Ferriere, Mr Octave Adam and Mr André Sauzier as members.
Each has been done by the Municipal Council since that date and at present the Municipal Council of Curepipe is one of the busiest towns and a high tourist destination.
In 1927, the Town consisted of what is known essentially as old Curepipe, with an area of 1,753 arpents or 739 hectares.
In 1960, the Town was further extended to include the area of Floréal which was developed following large-scale, morcellement, of lands belonging to the sugar estate, Réunion Ltd and Government Land north of La Brasserie Road. The extended area totaled approximately 977 arpents or 412 hectares. In 1963, some 772 arpents or 326 hectares made up of the village Council Area of Engrais Martial, Couvent de Lorette, Eau Coulée and Mangalkhan/ Riviere Sèche were further added to the township, increasing its population by 11,000.
In late 1968, Late Sir Gaetan Duval, QC, became the first Mayor of Curepipe.
The Municipal Council then consisted of 16 members.
With the extension of boundary limits, the township area increased from 3502 arpents (1478 hectares) to 5660 arpents (2390 hectares) or by 61.6%. The population increase, however, was only 6,962, or 10.6%.
In the 1980, numerous new businesses were established in the textile, jewelry and model ship making areas. This resulted in substantial population growth, as many residents of the south moved towards the jobs in Curepipe.