Coat of Arms
The shield of the Arms of Curepipe is divided horizontally into two parts, the upper part being about one third and the lower part two thirds of the area of the shield. The field or background of the latter is divided into six wavy divisions flowing horizontally across the shield and coloured alternatively white and blue which is intended to represent the marshy site on which the town was built and placed there on is a spring of azalea leaves and flowers all gold recalling that the site of the town was once a field of azaleas.
In the upper part of the shield termed in heraldry ‘a chief’ is depicted a green mount or hill in allusion to the well-known Trou-aux-Cerfs crater, and this is ensigned of a blue eradicated mullet or star introduced not only for geographical significance but also to provide a sense of elevation as conveyed by the motto. ‘’Excelsus Splendeo” (Exalted I Shine) is, in traditional fashion, displays upon a scroll placed below the shield itself.
Welcome to the Municipal Council of Curepipe
Our Latest News
The Council would like to welcome Mrs Ramkissoon Mungoosing as the new Chief Executive of the Council.
Our latest list of Activities for Welfare Departments can be downloaded on the link below Download
our latest sight seeing
About 1km West of central Curepipe, the Trou aux Cerfs is a dormant volcanic crater some 100m deep and 1km in circumference. The bowl is heavily wooded and from the road around the rim – a favourite spot for joggers and walkers – you get lovely views of the plateau. There are benches for rest and reflection, and a radar station for keeping an electronic eye on cyclone activity.
Overlooking a small park in the centre of Curepipe, the Hôtel de Ville is one of Mauritius’ best surviving structures from its colonial era. Notice the gable windows, verandah and decorative wooden friezes known as dentelles – all are signature traits of the island’s early plantation architecture. The building was moved here from Moka in 1903.
The well-kept gardens of Curepipe were created in 1870 to foster foliage that thrived in cooler weather – the grounds in Pamplemousses proved far too sweltering for certain species.